Photo Competition 2013
Closing dates for submissions - 26 July 2013
Download the entry form and send your submissions to email@example.com
The South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE) initiated the photo competition to celebrate the beauty of the
industry and to show the world that civil engineering can be visually pleasing. It is also a way of celebrating the
profession and bringing it to the layperson in a format that will be more readily understood.
It is a very successful competition held on an annual basis. Photographs are received and adjudicated by a hand-selected panel of judges. Cash prizes are given to the firms / individuals whose photos score in the top three (a winner and two runners-up). The photographs are used extensively in SAICE publications.
Because of advancing technology, SAICE communications department with the approval of related panels and committees,
re-visited the competition and it was agreed that the competition would change with the times and become an electronic one.
Entrants can send their entries electronically – via e-mail, the website, etc. The photographs are posted on the SAICE
website and the finalists are voted for online. The top 10 photos are selected and the adjudicators judge the photos
further from this.
The competition requires sponsorship and a sponsor is sourced annually. Our current sponsor is AfriSam. Winners are
announced at a small but intimate event. Guests are made up of the top 10 entrants, various honoured guests in the
industry, the sponsor and selected sponsor clients, the press and other media.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PHOTO COMPETITION
- The objective of the competition is to obtain suitable photographs to be used for any SAICE outreach ventures.
- The photographs must portray projects and/or people in civil engineering.
- The best photographs are to be selected out of the entries displayed.
RULES AND PROCEDURE
Entrants can respond to the notification e-mail by completing the entry form and attaching their photos in jpg format.
- The competition is open to the general public to submit photographs.
- The entries must portray people and/or projects in civil engineering.
- Entries must be electronic photos in jpeg format, at a resolution of 300dpi at least 20cm in width or length.
- Entries will be judged on portrayal of civil engineering, artistry of civil engineering, technical excellence (quality of photo), visual impact, creativity & originality, balance & composition.
- Please complete an entry form for each electronic entry and supply an appropriate title, short description of each project, details of the client, consultant and contractor involved in the project and the photographic equipment used to take the photograph/s. It is essential that the photographer's name is included.
- The entrant is responsible for obtaining permission for the use of the photographic material as well as subject material from the authority or project manager concerned.
- Entries submitted by organisations must be accompanied by written consent of the photographer.
- Permission for the reproduction of photos for any exhibition or publicity is assumed unless the entrant specifies otherwise. Due recognition will be given to the photographer where required.
- No responsibility will be accepted for any loss or damage to the e-mailed entries.
- Closing date will be decided by SAICE National Office and the sponsor.
Competition Entry Form